- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped coarse
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 18 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped coarse
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 6 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Texas Pecans
In a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt unsweetened chocolate, 9 oz semisweet chocolate, and butter, stirring occasionally, and remove top of double boiler (or bowl) from heat.
In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Add espresso powder, vanilla and chocolate mixture, beating until smooth.
In a small bowl whisk together four, baking powder, and salt and add to chocolate mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in remaining semisweet chocolate and nuts until combined well.
Scoop out 1/2 cup measure of cookie dough, arranging them three inches apart on un-greased baking sheets. Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven 25 minutes, or until tops begin to crack (do not over bake). Cool cookies on a rack.